Sunday, November 13, 2011

So this is what old is like?


Our town is very small and almost everyone knows everyone else or so I thought. Everyone knows my hubby because he works at the only store in town. Anyway, we have a town meeting once a month and not many people ever come. At the Friday night meeting, we were discussing ways to honor our elderly in town and since we don't have a senior center, see if we could possibly start one. That has really opened up a can of worms in my little world, lol.

After the meeting one girl came up to me and asked if she could help me in any way. I wasn't sure why she was asking me that. So I asked her what kind of help did she mean. Lol, then I almost fainted when she answered me. She said since I was elderly, was there anything she could help me with. WHAT? Me? Elderly? I didn't know if to hit her or just run. But I did the proper thing and just said no thank you.

THEN, when we get to the car, and honestly I was almost in tears by then, my hubby was opening my door for me (yes he does that),  and a man walking to his car stopped and told me I had such a nice son, to be helping me in the car like that. SON?

Ok, by this point I was hurt, and mad. How old do I look to these people? I am 57 but have never thought I looked that old, even though I sure feel it most days. But a double age whammy in one night was about more than I can take. It really has made me focus on how people see me.

How do you think people see you?




Do I really look almost 60 or "elderly"? NO, Wait, don't answer that! lol
 
Maybe at the next meeting we should discuss building an old folks home to put me in. Ugh!

3 comments:

  1. I'm 60 and I know I'm looking old. There's that period between 50 and 60 that the age really starts to show. I just go with it.

    Have a terrific day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, I know that I am not a wise old woman yet, but I think you look great. And I think that you should be more focused on the fact that a very nice young lady offered to help you. There aren't many people like that in the world and one day you will be old and need help and if you don't realize it they will be gone. We all get old, it's a gift or you can consider the alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are both right. Brownie, I want to thank you. I had not been able to see that fact in that way, because of being so centered on getting old. I was just shocked as I had not considered myself elderly. Again, thanks.

    ReplyDelete