Sunday, November 13, 2011

So this is what old is like?


Our town is very small and almost everyone knows everyone else or so I thought. Everyone knows my hubby because he works at the only store in town. Anyway, we have a town meeting once a month and not many people ever come. At the Friday night meeting, we were discussing ways to honor our elderly in town and since we don't have a senior center, see if we could possibly start one. That has really opened up a can of worms in my little world, lol.

After the meeting one girl came up to me and asked if she could help me in any way. I wasn't sure why she was asking me that. So I asked her what kind of help did she mean. Lol, then I almost fainted when she answered me. She said since I was elderly, was there anything she could help me with. WHAT? Me? Elderly? I didn't know if to hit her or just run. But I did the proper thing and just said no thank you.

THEN, when we get to the car, and honestly I was almost in tears by then, my hubby was opening my door for me (yes he does that),  and a man walking to his car stopped and told me I had such a nice son, to be helping me in the car like that. SON?

Ok, by this point I was hurt, and mad. How old do I look to these people? I am 57 but have never thought I looked that old, even though I sure feel it most days. But a double age whammy in one night was about more than I can take. It really has made me focus on how people see me.

How do you think people see you?




Do I really look almost 60 or "elderly"? NO, Wait, don't answer that! lol
 
Maybe at the next meeting we should discuss building an old folks home to put me in. Ugh!