Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Is your home like everyone elses?

Nablopomo:
When was the first time that you realized that your home was not like other people’s homes?

I grew up in a white house on a hill. We had a huge front porch that went all across the front of the house. I had my own room. I had no idea we were different than other people until I was about twelve or thirteen and started having friends over and going to their houses. My friends were daughters of a doctor, a lawyer, and a few businessmen. I lived with my Mom and Grandparents. My Mom was a waitress at that time, my granddad a barber and grandma was a beautician (hairdresser as she called herself). They were good Christian hardworking people.

Anyway, I noticed very quickly that my friends all had nicer homes and lots more stuff than I had. All of a sudden, I made a new friend and her Mom decided she could not come see me after she saw where we lived. I did not understand until my Mom talked to me about it. I understood, but really didn't. How could people be so mean and shallow? My Mom taught me the word Shallow that day and what it meant. Anyway, the older I got, maybe around 14, friends started to change and I discovered "class" and "cliques". Both are so stupid.

I started being more drawn to people in my social class, what I then considered us to be the in-betweeners. Not rich yet not dirt poor either.

I married my high school sweetheart when I was 17. He had a good job at 3M Company and is retiring with them next year. We were upper middle class for a while. So were most of our friends. But our families were both still the same old folks in their same old houses. I guess it all changes as we grow and change. We lived in a nice brick home and I raised my sons there.

After we divorced 25 years into our marriage, I left and went to my brother's house in CA. So I had no home for a year. After I worked awhile and got established, I moved into my own small apt. (very small). Things then changed because I changed. I was on my own for the first time in my life, and low and behold, I discovered I was happy. I thought I was happy anyway, but I had not been for a long long time.

Then I met my hubby now, moved with his job 5 times, and always had a nice apt until now. After my transplant and him becoming ill, we struggle, as many do today. I now live in a small government apartment in a very small town. Do I feel lower class or feel that my home is different from others? Here is the kicker: I No Longer Care! and I'm still happy!

So judge people for who they are and not what kind of house they live in. It doesn't matter if it's different.

Nablopomo

No comments:

Post a Comment