Friday, October 30, 2009

My first Book Review - "Diamond Rio Beautiful Mess"

I was accepted as a reviewer with Thomas Nelson Book Review Bloggers, and this is my first review.

I have liked the music of Diamond Rio for years, and jumped at the opportunity to read this book.
The Story of Diamond Rio by Diamond Rio with Tom Roland is about the country music band Diamond Rio. It begins with a concert in 2005 that went very wrong leaving the band, as well as several other people, thinking that they were at the end of the road. The book takes you through the beginning of the band at Opryland theme park to present day; a twenty year span. Well-written and thoughtfully laid out, the book dives into the lives of the six band members. It suggests throughout the book that Marty Roe has vocal problems, but keeps you waiting until the end to tell you about it.
The original name of the band was the Tennessee River Boys and to be honest it was difficult to get through the first two chapters for me. Finding the right combination of group members was difficult and a mess itself. But after that, I couldn't put the book down. I learned things that I never knew about this wonderful group such as all their charity work. What a great example these guys have set by helping others and staying away from the typical pitfalls of being a superstar.
This book was such an inspiration to me because it showed me how there is always hope, and if you are at the bottom, you have no place to go but up. I also liked this book because it is packed with the history of country music. If you are a country music fan, I would recommend this book. If you are not, then this is probably not the book for you. If you know a Diamond Rio fan, this would be a wonderful gift for them."It's the journey, not the destination". This saying by country music group, Diamond Rio's Jimmy Olander, sums up this book and the members of the band.

* I was sent this book to give an honest review and was not paid for my review *
You can purchase the book HERE
.

No comments:

Post a Comment